Pain is an unpleasant and uncomfortable feeling that limits a person’s functionality. You might experience different types of pain depending on the diagnosis. Different terms are used to describe the pain. For instance, it can be steady, stabbing, pinching, throbbing, or pinching. Regardless of how you describe your pain, Dr. Hui Kang is Houston’s best pain management specialist. Therefore, in this article, you will learn more about pain and its management.
Table of Contents
Conditions That Cause Pain
If your body functions normally, you will not experience any unpleasant sensations. Certain conditions cause you to experience pain and therefore consulting your physician before getting treatment becomes important. Disc degeneration, injury, meningitis, and spinal stenosis can cause much pain. Other conditions include;
- Muscle strain which occurs after you assume an awkward position.
- Osteoarthritis is a common degenerative form of arthritis that affects your fingers, knees, hips, neck, and lower back.
- Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition affecting the nervous system and causes amplified pain sensations.
- Headaches are probably caused by stress, anxiety, panic attacks, high blood pressure, hangover, dehydration, and bleeding in the brain in extreme circumstances.
- Rheumatoid arthritis affects your joints and causes pain, swelling, and stiffness. The condition arises after your immune system starts attacking the body tissues after mistaking them for invaders.
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome exhibits pain in the arms and legs, joint stiffness, and varying skin temperature. You will likely suffer from this condition after injury, surgery, or a heart attack.
- Post Laminectomy syndrome is a condition that describes persistent pain after you undergo spinal surgery.
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy causes burning pain, limb pain, and joint discomfort because it affects your muscles, skin, nerves, blood vessels, or bones.
Risk Factors That Predispose You to Pain
- Gender, some conditions like fibromyalgia affect women the most.
- Genetics, if your family member suffers from any chronic condition that causes pain, you will also suffer from the same.
- Chronic Conditions, if you suffer from a chronic condition, you are at risk of suffering from pain-causing conditions because of a compromised immune system.
- Physical trauma; for instance, if you have had a severe fracture, you will likely continue experiencing pain for a long time.
- Severe psychological stress can amplify your sensations, therefore, causing pain.
Treatment Options Available
Depending on the diagnosis, the doctor will recommend exercise, stretching, wearable collar, muscle relaxant, pain reliever, antidepressant, bone realignment, lubrication injection, anti-inflammatory drugs, resting, hot or cold compresses, among others, such as;
- Spinal Cord Stimulation involves implanting a small device on your back that will send a mild electric current to your spine via a wire electrode. The signals block pain signals.
- Epidural injection contains numbing anesthetic and cortisone. The doctor injects the epidural space in your spine, relieving pain.
The Houston Pain Specialist manages simple and complex pains, ensuring you live a pain-free life. If you visit them, you will get personalized services and treatment plans that fit your needs. Thus, you have no excuse for enduring a pain-filled life while the solution lies with the team of specialists working at the facility. Make an appointment today and start your journey to a pain-free life.