Heart problems have become quite common nowadays. Every second person is affected by it. Heart problems can lead to dangerous diseases like cancer, blood pressure etc. A healthy heart is the way to healthy living, but the modern lifestyle is taking a toll on this. A inactive lifestyle, eating junk food, alcohol, smoking, working for long hours and increasing stress is making the heart more and more vulnerable to diseases like cancer, blood pressure etc. In fact, a heart-healthy diet can reduce your risk of heart disease or stroke by 80%. By understanding which foods are beneficial for your heart, you may be able to lower cholesterol, prevent or manage heart disease and take better control over the quality and length of your life. A healthy lifestyle will make your heart healthier and young. Here are some ways you can do to look after your heart.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is one of the main causes of a heart disease. Quitting smoking is one of the most important things a person can do to live longer. If you are smoking you are likely to face twice times heart attack than a person who is non-smoker. The time you quit smoking the risk of heart attack begins to reduce.
- Take Down On Salt: Taking too much salt can cause high blood pressure which also increasing of having heart diseases. You should avoid foods like salted nuts, chips, pizzas etc. you should keep a check on your salt intake.
- Get Active: Getting and staying active can reduce the risk of developing a heart disease. It also can be a great stress buster and mood buster. If you are unable to find time to exercise regularly, try to be active through the day. Take the stairs instead of a lift. Being fit not only benefits your physical health but also your mental health.
- Get Good Sleep: Lack of sleep diminishes blood pressure. Insomnia can lead to increased stress levels which further can result in the risk of heart diseases. A good sleep of 7-8 hours each night can help your heart stay healthy.
- Be Happy: Being happy is the ultimate way to a healthy heart. As you all know laughter is the best medicine indeed. Laughing for just 5-10 minutes can boost the blood flow by 22%. So make it a habit of laughing daily.
- Eat Healthy: Diet is the most important part to keep your heart healthy. Look out what you eat and when you eat. Also manage to include healthy items in your diet like whole grains, vegetables, fruits and less oil which makes your heart healthy and young. Avoid foods like buns, cakes, pastries which contain saturated fat and sugar.
- Maintain Your Weight: Maintaining your weight is very important as being obese can increase the risk of heart diseases like blood pressure, diabetes etc. you should maintain a body mass index (BMI) between 20 to 25 which is considered ideal. You should stick to a diet which is healthy, has low fat and sugar combined with a physical activity which will help you in staying fit.
To keep your heart and young you have to follow these points accordingly which will not only help in keeping your heart healthy but will also help you live longer.
- Henry, holds years of experience and has a great experience in writing for health subjects. He was previously a Nutritionist but discovered that penning down her thoughts on paper was more interesting. He has worked with many prestigious organizations like NatureSupplies, Dmannose.co.uk, Tynacs Pharma, Kamal Pharma, HealthConsultants and more in the recent years and produced reader-friendly content.